Sync cal+contacts mobile

Hello, I’m not sure if this is the right place to post this so apologies in advance.

I’m having a problem syncing my contacts+calendar from opendesktop to my mobile phone (Volla OS, Android 10).
I followed this guide and all is OK until after granting access in the Nextcloud app.
I get the “Account connected” message and close the window.
After closing DavX pops up and tries to connect to my opendesktop account, but than I get the message that “no calDav/cardDav service was found”.
After a second or so I get the Nextcloud app again, asking to connect my account again. From here on it’s an endless loop.

Hope it’s clear what the problem is, is there any solution ?


Having the same issue trying to do that today. So far no luck.

in the logs for davx5, it shows that it is trying to connect to
and says it “doesn’t provide required caldav service”
though when i go to that url with browser, it loads and show this message:
This is the WebDAV interface. It can only be accessed by WebDAV clients such as the Nextcloud desktop sync client.
Not sure, maybe some kind of misconfiguration on the server?

I have the Nextcloud calendar synced via Kalendar (uses Akonadi to sync) with no issues:

I will look into these issues though. I’m installing DavX5 on my phone now.

OK it’s a paid app. Try the URL in my config (replacing justinz with your own OpenDesktop username) and let me know if that works.

It is open source so it was free on F-Droid. I’ve installed it and set it up, I’m seeing it listed in my Google Calendar app now.

Hi justinz,
thank you for looking into it. that does work for setting up one particular calendar, and then has to be repeated for each individual calenadar.
but according to nextcloud docs, and davx5 docs, pointing to just host/remote.php/dav should discover all the calendars, but that does not work.
the nextcloud docs here:
and davx5 docs here:

both suggest that the base url should just be server/remote.php/dav

i did a bit of digging, and it looks like it’s a configuration issue, such that listing of calendars is disabled. when i use curl to interact with the caldav baseurl at /remote.php/dav:
curl --user nanotube:**** -X PROPFIND -v 2>&1
it works fine, and returns many things along with the availability of /remote.php/dav/calendars/
then I curl that calendars endpoint with PROPFIND, it returns
<s:message>Listing members of this collection is disabled</s:message>

I don’t know enough about nextcloud configs/permissions that are required to enable this, and some cursory websearch did not return anything specific, so… this is as far as I can take it at the moment. :slight_smile:
it would be great if you could fix this so that i don’t have to add each of my calendars individually…

thank you!

Thank you for the digging. I’ll have a look into it, it might be a setting within Nextcloud.

After a bit of tinkering and searching, I came across a post from 2014 that mentioned putting the username after the calenders section as without it you’re trying to list all users.

I tried using the username appended in Davx5 but it didn’t work, but I can use it in Kalendar and in curl (see below) and it lists the available calendars.

curl -k --user "username:password" -X PROPFIND -H "Content-Type: application/xml" "" | xmllint -format -

So it seems like this might be in issue in Davx5 and how they implement CalDav via Nextcloud.

Hm, interesting, I can reproduce your results that pointing to …calendars/username returns a list with curl, and also that davx5 doesn’t grok it.
The nextcloud docs also suggest that pointing to /remote.php/dav/ directly should work. I would think that the overall calendar list would be user-specific due to the authentication with username… I guess to double check if it’s some configuration issue, or a documentation issue, i need to try this with a different nextcloud install to see if it behaves differently. perhaps tomorrow i’ll give it a try. :slight_smile:
thank you for replies, will let you know what i find!