Update preserving the downloads counter value?

When updating a theme published on the store the downloads counter value resets to zero. Is it possible to avoid that?

I just noticed this happen as well, I had a lot of downloads and now it says 0. :frowning_face: I wonder how many times I have reset my total downloads for various products?!

After examining the files pages very closely, I see it has a small notice:

Deleted files are archived. Number of downloads are kept. *

I presume from this it means that in order to keep the total download count, instead of using Update one should:

1. Delete the current file
  2. Upload a new file

I haven’t tested this theory though.

It is correct that when a file is updated using the update function, the counter for that file starts from zero again.

The old version of the file will be moved to the archive and will still be there with the correct number of downloads.
The total number of downloads is therefore maintained.

You can also access the archive by clicking on the text showing the number of archived files.

If a user is logged in, we show the total number of downloads on the last line, as we already show the total number of MBytes saved.

Ah yes, I see this now under the Files section of the user-facing product page.

If a user is logged in, we show the total number of downloads on the last line, as we already show the total number of MBytes saved.

I don’t see this anywhere, only downloads per file and the downloads 24h.

In addition, when browsing via the KDE “Get new…” applets, the download count only seems to be for the most recent file. (Though this may be simply due to their configuration).

Oh, I’ll look at it again, maybe the information got “lost” at some point. Then we can display it again.

Yes, the interface does not currently support the transfer of archived file versions or downloads of individual files.

Does this mean the api doesn’t allow finding out the total download count for a product? If so that seems unfortunate, as that is the metric I would expect and that seems would be most useful.

Similarly I often wish the website had an option to sort by “Most downloads of all time” sort of feature.