Question about "Section Factor"

Hello! What happend with “Section Factor” this month? on September 30 it was showing 1 but today in “September” section it is showing 0.49 and “Potential Payout” got twice lower. How does it work and why payout went twice lower only after month was ended?

2 Likes

Hi annalerias,
if you refer to the Phone section, unlike all other sections which had steady growth, downloads have doubled compared to the month before. That is why with the same amount of money available, the section-factor, now being active since September, has approx. halved. To grow we need to secure new capital, as logically we can’t pay out more in total than is available and calculated to last for this year and 2020. So it’s either sponsors decide it’s interesting to get some small recognition back for each download or the users themselves start contributing at least a bit back to sustain the platform.

1 Like

Oh, ok. Thanks for explanation!

I truly feel the phone section needs a bit cleanup. I always see products that lack proper management and licenses. Also many lack a proper description and same product have multiple alterations for multiple devices that can be done in a single product.

Hi Shenron,

if you have concrete suggestions to improve quality in that section, please start a new Topic and list your suggestions, so we can discuss these further.

I suppose this is the same that’s happening to most sections now? Downloads are increasing but nobody is contributing financially?

Since August 2019 the “KDE Themes and Content” section (which might possibly be one of the most used of the whole platform?) dropped from factor 1.00 to 0.56(!)
So in consequence and ironically even though the downloads on my products have risen significantly over these months, I’m getting less money now than back then.

I will mention this: I’m not at all trying to complain about amounts of money. I always go in your defense @opendesktop when such issues arise. But since the very implementation of Pling you still lack a lot of transparency. This could be easily achieved with more frequent news articles explaining your changes and mechanisms regarding the whole monetary situation. (Also calling for action)
Your last news article is from May 2019…
(Some people would call this “marketing”)

So if things keep going like this and downloads steadily increase but neither creators nor users are willing to donate (I’m still running my monthly subscription to the mentioned section) then payout will further decrease? Is this accurate?

Also I think I mentioned this before: The donation just doesn’t (at least didn’t) seem to make it apparent that you are supporting a very specific section of products.

Thank you for your efforts and any response.

2 Likes